Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Toffee Bars

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsifted flour
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (6 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine 6 tablespoons butter, oats, brown sugar, flour, nuts and baking soda. Press firmly on bottom of greased 13 X 9 inch pan; bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and sweetened condensed milk. Over medium heat, cook and stir until mixture thicken slightly, about 15 minutes. Stir often as the mixture burns quickly. Pour over crust. Return to oven; back 10 to 15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle chocolate chip on top. *(I like to use mini chocolate chips. They melt faster and I love chocolate so I always add a little more.) Spread while still warm. Cool. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered at room temperature. Makes 24-36 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment